In a statement, Biden said he and First Lady Jill were “heartbroken” and said he regretted the recent episodes of violence at the US Congressional headquarters – on January 6, the building was invaded by a crowd of extremists who refused to accept Donald Trump’s defeat in the presidential election.
“We know it has been a difficult time for the Capitol, for everyone who works there and for those who protect the place,” said Biden.
US flag stands at half-mast on Capitol Hill after police officer died this Friday (2) – Photo: Alex Brandon / AP Photo
In addition, Biden also stated that the National Security Council is updating the president on the investigations. He even ordered the White House flags to be at half-mast, just like on the Capitol.
The dead policeman, William “Bill” Evans, worked in the Capitol Police since March 2003. The corporation also offered condolences to the agent’s family.
William ‘Billy’ Evans, police officer killed this Friday (2) after being hit by the Capitol – Photo: US Capitol Police / Handout via Reuters
Another policeman, with an undisclosed identity, was also injured in the hit and run. He was admitted to a hospital and, according to a medical report this evening, had a health condition considered stable.
The killer, a 25-year-old Indiana native identified as Noah Green, was shot by police officers as he left the car. He also received medical attention, but died in the hospital.
Isolated crime scene in front of the Capitol, in the USA, where a man ran over two policemen before he was shot on Friday (2) – Photo: Al Drag / Reuters
See below a SUMMARY of the hit by the Capitol
- A man came forward with a car over the security barrier set up around the Capitol in Washington, home of the US Congress.
- Security officers shot the driver when he got out of the car with a knife in his hand, according to a local TV station – the man was detained at the hospital, but he could not resist his injuries and died.
- Two policemen were run over. One of them died in the hospital.
- Because of the incident, the headquarters of the US Congress was closed for just over two hours.
- The motivation for the attack is unknown, and there are no links to the January 6 invasion of Capitol Hill by supporters of former President Donald Trump.
Driver runs over and kills policeman on Capitol Hill in Washington
Map shows location of incident on Capitol Hill on April 2, 2021 – Photo: G1 Mundo
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks