French President Emmanuel Macron announced on Wednesday, a new national lockdown, in an attempt to curb the increase in new cases of Covid-19 and the spread of coronavirus variants, according to the Associated Press. The measure will take effect next Saturday, April 3, and should last for a month. The operation of schools and non-essential businesses is suspended during the period. “This is the best solution to slow the virus,” said the president.
According to him, no region of France is at risk, so the restriction measures that are in force around Paris will be extended to all French territory, including the curfew between 7 pm and 6 am. Macron also said that 44% of people hospitalized in intensive care units (ICUs) are under 65 years of age.
“In the coming weeks, we will further accelerate the number of doses we are receiving and will gradually become the first region in the world in terms of vaccine production,” promised the French president. According to a survey by the American university Johns Hopkins, France has registered more than 4.6 million confirmed cases of Covid-19, in addition to more than 95 thousand deaths. As of Monday (29), 11.5% of the country’s population had already received at least one dose of the vaccine against the disease.
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks