Colombia estimates that about 4,000 Venezuelans have crossed the border since March 21 – on that occasion, there was an offensive by the Venezuelan army.
A part of these exiles accused Venezuelan soldiers of arbitrary arrests, civilian deaths, looting and house fires.
Venezuela’s Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino denied that this happened.
About 60 human rights groups sign the letter stating that they consider it “urgent for the UN Secretary-General to appoint a special envoy for the border crisis”.
The UN has not yet responded to requests for an interview.
Last week, Nicolás Maduro’s government said that two soldiers had been killed in clashes, and that armed groups had placed landmines in the region.
Civilian groups said at least four people were killed by special government forces sent to the area.
Colombian President Ivan Duque said the Venezuelan government supports dissidents from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN). Maduro denies that he supports these groups.
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks