The fire started at about 2 pm on Wednesday, 7, and soon afterwards the volunteer firefighters appeared to answer, but at first there were problems installing the hose on one of the hydrants.
According to the report by La Clave, the mall is old and is very poorly maintained. The electrical cables and wiring in general, in addition to being old, are deteriorated, and the risk of fire is great, as the fireman himself commented.
In fact, those who pass behind the oldest commercial buildings in Ciudad del Este notice a jumble of electrical cables mixed with telephone and internet wiring.
It is not the first time that a fire has occurred at the Jebai Center. In 2019, also due to a short circuit, around 10 stores on the 3rd floor were affected by the flames. Both that time and now, there was only material damage, with no victims.
It is not just the Jebai Center that is in this situation. In front of that mall, also in 2019 (but there were many others later), there was a fire at Hijazi Center Shopping.
According to the volunteer fire chief, in an interview with La Clave, store owners were more concerned about the damage caused by the fire to goods than to employees. Fearing looting, shopkeepers sought to keep employees inside stores on the other floors.
Although in precarious conditions, the mall houses stores that, in total, have 4 thousand employees.
The fire was extinguished around 3 pm, but firefighters continued to pump water to cool the entire floor where the fire occurred.
Did you like the text? Contribute to expand journalism in Foz do Iguaçu. SUBSCRIBE NOW
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks