This Friday, Rafael Carioca was officially presented at Botafogo. At the age of 28, the player with spells in Ceará – the team in which he was commanded by Marcelo Chamusca -, RB Bragantino and Vitória arrives to dispute position on the left side with the youngsters Paulo Victor and Hugo, in addition to Guilherme Santos. In a press conference, the athlete spoke about the challenge of playing for Glorioso and made reference to Nilton Santos, one of the great idols in the team’s history.
> See the classification of the Carioca Championship
– I am very happy to be here, I would like to thank the institution of Botafogo for this chance. Very good to know that I am in a club that had one of the biggest, if not the biggest left back in the history of Brazilian football (Nilton Santos). So, grab this opportunity with your teeth and give it my best one more time.
Asked about being Marcelo Chamusca’s nomination, Rafael commented on the dispute for position within Alvinegro. For the full-back, the competition in the position adds Botafogo due to the technical varieties of each player.
– I came to add. I will try to find my space by working hard, regardless of whether it is the coach’s indication or not. I hope that we (the athlete and coach Marcelo Chamusca) will achieve the triumphs we had in Ceará, for example, when we got access (in 2017) and state titles – said the player.
– Concerning competition, I interpret it as an opportunity that Botafogo has to gain different characteristics in the same position. In the recent past I had situations with Professor Chamusca in which I worked on both the front and back lines, so we already know each other, he knows the way I play – completed Rafael Carioca.
Regarding his credentials on the field, Glorioso’s new signing ratified his versatility to play either on the sideline or forward, as a positive feature.
– From a few years ago, I turned left side. With professor Marcelo, I was once a midfielder. But if it is to choose a characteristic of mine when I enter the field, it is the delivery. I think that for a player with no surrender, other things never flow.
The athlete also commented on his physical issue, since he has not been active since January 29, in Vitória’s 1-0 triumph over Brasil de Pelotas, still in the Series B of 2020. Thus, the player he made a point of stating that, although he had not been playing, he was already training and preparing for the next career challenge.
– My last match was really in January, however, on my physical issue I was already training, I just wasn’t playing because I was in the process of transferring from Vitória to Botafogo. So, I am training, giving my best and I hope as soon as possible to be helping the teacher to achieve our goals here at the club.
At the end of the interview, Rafael Carioca said about the good year he had with RB Bragantino in 2019, when he played well and was champion of the Serie B, but last year he ended up dropping production in Vitória.
– I see it as different situations (the drop in income). I also had very good years, as with the shirts of Ceará and Paraná, in good individual situations, but sometimes, not for the club. So, I prefer that, if I am going to return in a moment of the recent past, I play the football that I presented in Ceará, because it was the place that I liked to play the most and that my characteristics were more seen.
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks