– It has been a difficult decision, says Myrhol.
He thus terminates the contract with Skjern one year before it expires. Myrhol will play the Olympics for Norway this summer before he leaves.
– I simply have a body and shoulder that do not want more. I can fight my way through the last time, but that it would take a year and a half of pain was unbearable, he says.
The 38-year-old hopes to finish with bravura.
Myrhol is struggling with pain: – I am in pain
– My dream scenario is to end with trophies for Skjern and Olympic gold with Norway – hopefully with many spectators in the stands. But no matter how it goes, I will think back on the last few years in Skjern as some of the most fantastic in my long handball life, he says.
TV 2 expert Bent Svele is not surprised that Myrhol chooses to put his shoes on the shelf.
– It is a natural choice after he has struggled a lot with injuries lately. That must be respected. This means that one of the very, very biggest we have had on the men’s side in handball is giving up.
– What has he meant for Norwegian handball?
– He has meant extremely much. He enjoys enormous respect throughout the handball world. He has been among the very best line players in the world over a good period of time. He is a core guy and a captain with capital letters. It is as whole wood as it is possible to get it. Therefore, it is a little sad that he will be away from the handball court. Myrhol has worked extremely hard through periods of illness, with cancer, intestinal problems and the shoulder now. But he never sighs, says Svele.
The Olympic Games start in Tokyo on July 23, one year late due to the corona pandemic.
– That he gets to crown a fantastic handball career and handball life with the Olympics, I think is as well deserved as it can get. If he gets an Olympic gold in Tokyo, it could have been a Hollywood film, says Svele.
– I peed barbed wire for half a year without having chlamydia
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks