Dagbladet wrote in March about the luxury problem Manchester United have in the goalkeeper position. At the time, young Dean Henderson had just had to start two league games because David de Gea was at home in Spain with his newborn daughter.
De Gea has been Manchester United’s first choice for a number of years, also most of this season. Dean Henderson has only played in the cups for Solskjær’s team when both have been available before.
But this weekend both were ready to play again and Solskjær therefore had to choose between his two goalkeepers. The choice fell on Dean Henderson, and it did not go unnoticed.
At the press conference after the match, Solskjær wanted to de-dramatize the election.
– I know that there is something that will create headlines now and that will not be so important later, but I have two good goalkeepers and it is about finding matches that both can play. Of course not in the same match, but both deserve to play more than they do and it is a decision I have to make every match, Solskjær said at the press conference after the match.
– Not such a type
Former Manchester United player Rio Ferdinand does not believe that Solskjær’s plan for two first choices will work and that a second goalkeeper should understand that he is only used as a second choice.
– I do not think de Gea is such a type. He loves playing for Manchester United and he lives and breathes for this club and he has done so ever since he arrived. But I do not see him staying at the club and accepting that Dean Henderson is the first choice. No chance, then I think he will go, says Ferdinand to BT sport.
The Manchester Evening News writes today that there have been reports of dissatisfaction between Solskjær and the star goalkeeper and Ferdinand believes that the election for Solskjær may indicate that the Spaniard is on his way out the doors at Old Trafford.
– If Dean Henderson ends the season as Manchester United’s first choice, then I think David de Gea will do everything he can to get away from the club, he says.
Despite Ferdinand understanding the possible frustration of de Gea, he still supports Solskjær’s choice to use Henderson as first goalkeeper.
– It is the right decision at the right time for Ole Gunnar Solskjær. That’s what he wants. He is the manager and he gets paid to make the difficult decisions and right now he believes that Henderson is the first goalkeeper, says Ferdinand.
Now the former midfielder is looking forward to seeing Henderson as United’s new first goalkeeper.
– He has been waiting for this opportunity after returning from a good season at Sheffield United, he really wants this. The pressure is on again now. Can he live up to the expectations that he is this fantastic and good young goalkeeper? I look forward to seeing him play, Ferdinand concludes.
Download our sports app
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks