Sports commentator Thom Gibbs thinks Erling Braut Haaland and Manchester City had been a bad match.
In a long comment in The Telegraph, sports commentator Thom Gibbs writes about why he thinks Manchester City is not the right club for Haaland when he will change clubs.
He thinks Manchester United would have taken better care of Jærbuen.
Brings out recent situation
Despite the fact that Gibbs believes that it would have made the most sense for Haaland to go to City if he leaves Dortmund this summer, he believes there are several things that speak against it being a success.
Gibbs quickly highlights a situation from the previous round in the Champions League. Dortmund played against Sevilla in the quarterfinals, and Sevilla goalkeeper Yassine Bounou saved a penalty kick from Haaland and slammed his lip in the direction of the 20-year-old afterwards.
Haaland had to take the penalty again since Bounou had left the finish line too early, and on his second attempt Haaland scored. The 20-year-old ran straight towards Bonou and threw some words back to the goalkeeper. The Sevilla players were furious and ran after Haaland as he continued his celebration.
– This is a player who does not know anything because he always ends up in the center of the event. It is asked how that property will fit in Manchester City, Gibbs asks.
Read also: Haaland agent dismisses money case: – False news spreads quickly
– Arrogance fits better in United
The commentator also writes that Haaland can quickly become a kind of new Cristiano Ronaldo, with all that entails. Gibbs questions whether such a big star could have worked in a team that Guardiola coaches, and refers to how it went when Zlatan Ibrahimovic played in Barcelona under Guardiola.
– One can argue that Manchester United is a more suitable club for Haaland. At United, there is a history of promoting and developing big stars, Gibbs believes.
Roy Keane, Eric Cantona and Ibrahimovic are examples of strong characters who have succeeded in the red part of Manchester, Gibbs writes.
But Gibbs thinks there is something else that speaks most for United having suited Haaland best.
– United need Haaland. He has an incredible talent that United have lacked since Wayne Rooney was at his best, says the commentator, who thinks Haaland had fit perfectly in Solskjær’s team.
– Erling Haaland’s dizzying arrogance fits better in Manchester United than in City, he writes.
Read also: Dietmar Hamann reacts strongly to Haaland talks in Spain
Guardiola has ruled out buying Haaland
Pep Guardiola was peppered with questions about Haaland at a press conference on Monday afternoon. Last week, the Spaniard said that it will be impossible for City to spend as much money as it is speculated that Dortmund will have for Haaland.
Read also: Guardiola peppered with Haaland questions: – A blind man sees that he is a good striker
Guardiola said something of the same on Monday, but did not rule out that it may be relevant in the future.
– So far the club has decided not to spend 100 million on a player, but maybe it is necessary in the future when the club sees the need to strengthen the team for the next five to ten years. Maybe in the future, I do not know, he said.
Ole Gunnar Solskjær was also asked about Haaland at a press conference last week. The United manager was not particularly keen on talking about Jærbuen.
– We focus on the players who are here. I’ve worked with Erling before, but it’s not right of me as a United boss to talk about him. I can only talk about him as his former manager. He must decide for himself, says Solskjær.
Erling Braut Haaland and Borussia Dortmund meet Manchester City in the quarterfinals of the Champions League on Tuesday night. The match starts at 21.00.
Last chance: The sports shops empty the warehouses for winter goods
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks