– All the teams participating in this tournament want to reach as far as possible. One is what we want, and then it’s about showing it on the lawn. I prepare for this match in the same way as everyone else. It’s about winning this match and next week we will travel to Dortmund to win there. It’s a football match, says Guardiola.
But the Spanish manager knows that the yellow-blacks from Germany have an ace up their sleeve. A 20-year-old from Bryne named Erling Braut Haaland, who is the top scorer in the Champions League with ten goals in six games.
– A player who scores so many goals at that age is unusual. His numbers speak for themselves. He can score with right, left, on counterattacks. He’s a great player. A blind man understands that he is a fantastic player, says Guardiola.
– Understand that people are asking
He was not the only one to answer Haaland’s questions at today’s press conference. Midfielder Rodri did not escape either.
– His performance has been impressive. But we can not just focus on one player. Borussia Dortmund is a big team in Europe. They have a very good offensive team and we have to be aware of that.
Manchester City are one of the clubs that have been linked with Jærbuen in recent months, but Guardiola once again strikes back at those who believe the light blues have an inexhaustible money bag and the Spaniard is aware that the club can not spend over 100 million pounds on one player. .
– No not at all. Football is a team game. Everyone contributes, both the players who do not play and those who work behind the scenes. Maybe the clubs decide that it is necessary to spend so much on a player in the next few years, but right now we do not. I do not know what will happen in the future, says the City manager.
According to ESPN, Dortmund has set a price tag of 180 million euros for Braut Haaland. This corresponds to NOK 1.8 billion. Guardiola himself will not say anything about how much he thinks Jærbuen is worth.
– I do not know. That is a question for Borussia Dortmund and his agent. I understand that people are asking about Haaland. He is an exceptional attacker, but you understand that it is not appropriate for me to talk about him, says the 50-year-old.
As mentioned, the Spanish star manager has never taken City further than a quarter-final in the Champions League. In recent years, Liverpool, Tottenham and Lyon have been strengthened, and Guardiola admits that he was in pain after the defeat against the French last season.
– I thought about it for several weeks. It was painful, I can not say otherwise. We wanted to move on, but we have to accept that we did not deserve it. It was a disappointment, I must admit, he says.
The City boss, on the other hand, will not agree that his team must win the Champions League to get the respect they deserve.
– We are already a big club. But everyone here, both me and the players, wants to do better than what we have done earlier in this tournament, Guardiola concludes.
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks