Over the next few years, the Oslo woman was persecuted by paparazzi photographers – and there were rumors that Sannum would be the future Spanish queen.
In 2001, the couple were guests at Crown Prince Haakon (47) and Mette-Marit’s (47) wedding, and many were sure that there would be a wedding in Spain as well – with a Norwegian bride.
But in December of that year, the two went their separate ways.
Can recognize themselves
20 years later, Sannum is in a completely different place in life. Today she works as a consultant and partner in Sannum & Bergestuen, has a cohabitant and two sons. In addition, she has made a name for herself with the podcast “Tut & mediekjør”, which discusses how journalism is created.
The relationship with the Spanish prince has long been a bygone chapter for the 45-year-old. However, she knows a thing or two about Spanish royal life and what it’s like to be with a prince.
In a recent interview with A-magazine, Sannum discusses the five-year relationship with the then Crown Prince Felipe.
The background for why she is appearing in the interview, however, is her commitment to press awareness and ethics, and among the topics covered are the much talked about Oprah Winfrey interview with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan.
Like most of the rest of the world, Sannum has seen how Duchess Meghan (39) talks about her problems in dealing with royal life in the controversial interview.
Sannum can recognize himself in taking the step from a normal life and into among the royals. Nor did she receive any training in how to cope with life with a prince, she says to A-magazine.
After several years abroad, Sannum moved back to Oslo in 1999, and it clicked hard on the cameras of the journalists – who followed the Spanish prince’s Norwegian girlfriend with falconry eyes – also in Norway.
– I decided early on never to look into the camera of the paparazzi, I did not want anyone to think that I appreciated being photographed, she tells the magazine.
After a picture of her and Felipe in front of the Taj Mahal was published, the Spanish press thought that the picture had been leaked on purpose to prepare the Spaniards for a royal engagement.
– The truth is that the photos were stolen from a private photo album. Many, including me, were suspected of having leaked them, Sannum explains.
– Very tiring
During her relationship with the Spanish prince, Eva Sannum chose to keep as low a public profile as possible. She also did not comment on the relationship – not even when it ended.
To A-magazine today, she admits that she might have made a statement after she chose to end her relationship with Felipe:
– Because it gave the impression that I had been frozen out of the Spanish royal house. And that is not true, says Sannum.
The 45-year-old believes that she has not missed what could have been, but is grateful for the experiences she had on the road.
– People probably think it would be a life with yachts and champagne. But people do not realize that it is very tiring. It is a life full of limitations.
Today, Crown Prince Felipe has long since become king, and is married to Queen Letizia (48). Together they have daughters Princess Leonor (15) and Princess Sofia (13).
See and Hear has been in contact with Eva Sannum, who does not want to comment on the matter further.
Received no guidance
Another Norwegian woman who has felt the royal life and its associated challenges is Pia Haraldsen (39).
She was in a relationship with Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg (39) for two years.
Recently, the 39-year-old lifted the veil to See and Hear about what it was like to be thrown straight into the royal world. Haraldsen could also be recognized in some of Duchess Meghan’s statements in the Oprah interview.
– I was just thrown straight into it and I was very young, only 20 years old, she told See and Hear, and added:
– I was not given any advice on how to handle the situation. Now I would have done it completely differently as I am an adult woman and have been in the media for several years, but then I was young and a student. It was a strain.
Haraldsen admitted, however, that she came out of the relationship with Guillaume stronger, and pointed out that she remembers the period as a great time despite the fact that it was also challenging.
– We were young and in love. I got to experience a lot of fun and participate in a lot of exciting things. I look back on it as a nice period, but it was also tough, she admitted.
The former TV presenter had some contact with his ex-girlfriend after the break-up.
– We barely had contact a few years later, when we both lived in London and had mutual friends, but we have no contact today. He is a married man and has children, Haraldsen told Se og Hør.
ALSO READ: The princely family’s ‘secret’ luxury life
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks