Covid-19. Approved memo to launch a drive-Thru Vaccination Center in Porto

The Porto Chamber approved this Monday the memorandum of understanding with the Centro Hospitalar de São João, with a view to the implementation of a Covid-19 Vaccination Center under Drive-Thru regime, in Queimódromo.

At the executive’s meeting held this Monday morning, the mayor, the independent Rui Moreira, indicated that the mass vaccination plan in the city of Porto has been articulated with the task force, adding that during the afternoon it would have a meeting was held with the chairman of the board of directors of the Northern Regional Health Administration (ARS Norte), Carlos Nunes and with secretary of state Eduardo Pinheiro, appointed by the government to coordinate the plan to combat Covid-19 in the northern region.

In a note published on its official page, the municipality says that at that meeting it made known the steps that Porto has taken to prepare for large-scale vaccination, starting with the drive-thru vaccination center, ready to operate at Queimódromo do Parque da Cidade about two months ago, which was formalized today with the approval of the proposal at the meeting of the municipal executive.

According to the same note, at the meeting, “Rui Moreira clarified that the structure was created after having initiated contacts in order to ensure that the city of Porto was equipped with a response capable of meeting the huge expected demand, from the moment where a large volume of vaccines reach the city of Porto “.

This first response, he said, will therefore work “at no cost to the NHS [Serviço Nacional de Saúde]”, also with the support of UNILABS, and can be” replicable or triplicable “, guaranteed the Mayor of Porto.

In February, the mayor had already opened up this possibility, referring that for the eastern zone, if necessary, a second vaccination center, in a drive-thru model, could be set up in the old STCP collection park, and another in the central area of ​​the city, in the Gardens of the Crystal Palace, this in a walk-thru system (on foot).

The independent also clarified the Secretary of State and the President of ARS Norte that the administrations of Hospital de São João and Hospital de Santo António are aligned with the Municipality of Porto and that they confirm that the objective of large-scale vaccination “is not achievable “only by using hospitals and health centers.

Rui Moreira also transmitted that to start with the drive-thru vaccination center in Queimódromo he only needs the authorization of the task force coordinator, the availability of vaccines and, of course, the definition of the people to be vaccinated and their list and / or access to the system.

The Mayor of Porto also opens the possibility of the structure being addressed to people who intend to take the initiative to schedule their vaccine.

According to the memorandum of understanding to be signed with the Centro Hospitalar Universitário de São João, the autarchy is responsible for ensuring the financing for the operation of the center, namely “logistics, operation, flow organization, vaccination technicians and medical support. in space, with a minimum of 12 vaccination lines “, which will allow up to 2,000 inoculations per day.

In turn, Hospital de São João provides training, “with regard to the dimensions of dose preparation by pharmacists and administration of vaccines and records in information systems by nurses, as well as consultancy with regard to clinical surveillance adverse reactions “.

The Porto City Council also approved the assignment, for a certain and non-renewable period of 6 months, to the Grouping of Health Centers (ACeS) Porto Ocidental, of the former António Aroso Basic School, at União das Freguesias de Aldoar, Foz do Douro and Nevogilde, where an area dedicated to Respiratory Diseases (ADR) and a Vaccination Center were installed.

The covid-19 pandemic caused at least 2,853,908 deaths worldwide, resulting from more than 131.2 million cases of infection, according to a report made by the French agency AFP.

In Portugal, 16,879 people died from 823,335 confirmed cases of infection, according to the most recent bulletin from the Directorate-General for Health.

The disease is transmitted by a new coronavirus detected in late 2019 in Wuhan, a city in central China.

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox

Follow us on social media networks

PREV Pfizer / BioNTech vaccine prevented all symptomatic cases of Covid with a South African variant, say manufacturers | Vaccine
NEXT Portugal with 11 more deaths and 592 cases of covid in day of announcement of new phase of deflation – Coronavirus