Messages about problems started ticking in to Vegtrafikksentralen around 2 pm on Maundy Thursday afternoon.
– We received reports of traffic chaos and major traffic challenges that turned out to be due to incorrectly parked cars on both sides of the road. This meant that the lane was severely restricted, and that necessarily creates some chaos, said traffic operator Albert Sherington at Vegtrafikksentralen to Dagbladet.
Eventually there were also reports of a vehicle with problems.
– It is a larger vehicle that has either ended up on the side or the scissors, as we call it. We do not quite know yet. But because of that, there is also a bit of chaos. If they are to carry out salvage, there are some vehicles that need to be moved, and we have police patrols on site who are trying to get an overview. That is why we have chosen to close the mountain.
At 16.23, Vegtrafikksentralen informs on Twitter that Vikafjellet is open for free traffic again. The police report that the traffic is running as normal, and that they are ending on the spot.
– Have it going
Just before 4.30 pm, the police told Dagbladet that the train had come down from the mountain. However, the parked cars continued to cause problems.
– The traffic starts to flow a little, but it is a challenge when many people want to go to the mountains in the nice weather and park on both sides of the road. Then it gets very narrow in the middle and then cars meet, and then you have it going, said operations manager Per Algerøy in the West police district.
At 15.17 there were still long queues at the place:
Algerøy encouraged people to think about traffic safety, even if they want to go out in the nice Easter weather.
– I understand that people want to go to the mountains, but then at least meeting places must be made, so that the traffic can be handled in a good way, and so that things do not come suddenly. It is 80-zone over the mountain there, he warns.
Police have begun contacting car owners to ask them to return from the hike and move the cars.
– The clock is also starting to become a part, so they are starting to come back. It will probably be resolved, says Algerøy.
It was red on both sides of the mountain and there was no information on when the road will reopen.
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks