– I think we can now say that there is a clear link to the vaccine, says EMAS vaccine manager Marco Cavaleri in an interview published in the Italian newspaper Il Messaggero on Tuesday, reproduced by NTB.
According to NTB, Cavaleri indicates that the connection will be confirmed by the inspection within a few hours.
– Goes the way
David Benee Olsen, doctor and senior adviser at the Norwegian Medicines Agency, represented Norway in the side effects committee in EMA. He is currently in meetings about this.
– I think it is very positive that it now seems to go the way we have said, but it has not been concluded. This is what I am sitting in meetings about now, Olsen says to Dagbladet.
In the meeting on 18 March, Norway, as the only country, dissented. Olsen in the Norwegian Medicines Agency argued that a warning was not enough, but that this should be included in the list of side effects.
– It is not uncommon for someone to dissent. We look at data that can be interpreted differently. I am convinced that one can not rule out a connection between the reported cases and the vaccine, he told Dagbladet after the meeting.
– In this case, we have gone “all in”. This is because we have accidentally and unfortunately seen that Norwegian vaccinated people are affected by something that has a possible connection with the vaccine, he continued.
– This has changed the picture
Steinar Madsen, medical director at the Norwegian Medicines Agency, is familiar with the development.
– This is by no means something new for Norway. We have meant that there is a probable connection with the vaccine. This is now being discussed at a meeting of the EMA’s beekeeping committee this week. They are underway, and this with whether to enter the list of the vaccine’s side effects will be discussed, he says to Dagbladet.
– What has happened, and which has changed the picture, is that there have been far more cases in recent weeks. New cases appear almost every day. Last week, 62 cases were operated on worldwide, but even more have probably appeared.
Announces press conference
Now it seems that the general perception in the EMA around this question may be about to turn in the direction of what was previously only a dissent post from Norway, the subject director believes.
– I perceive it that way. Without being able to comment directly on what the committee says, I take it that the EMA has modified its point of view.
EMA will hold a press conference tomorrow afternoon, Madsen states.
– I reckon that this will be a theme for that press conference.
AstraZeneca has not yet responded to Børsen’s inquiries.
Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Follow us on social media networks